Cardiff University | Prifysgol Caerdydd ORCA
Online Research @ Cardiff 
WelshClear Cookie - decide language by browser settings

Molecular characterisation of clinical and environmental isolates of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus faecalis from a teaching hospital in Wales

Kuriyama, Tomoari, Williams, David Wynne, Patel, Mital, Lewis, Michael Alexander Oxenham, Jenkins, Lynda E., Hill, Dylan W. and Hosein, Ian K. 2003. Molecular characterisation of clinical and environmental isolates of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus faecalis from a teaching hospital in Wales. Journal of Medical Microbiology 52 (9) , pp. 821-827. 10.1099/jmm.0.05123-0

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

The present study describes the first molecular characterization of environmental and clinical isolates of vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) in Wales. Over a 3-month period (May-July 2000), 134 isolates of VRE (89 Enterococcus faecium and 45 Enterococcus faecalis) were isolated from the patient environment of the University Hospital of Wales (UHW) in Cardiff, Wales, UK. In addition, over the same time-period, 24 clinical isolates of VRE (20 isolates of E. faecium and four isolates of E. faecalis) were obtained from 14 patients. All study isolates were subjected to PFGE typing and their van genotypes were determined by using multiplex PCR. The vanA PCR product (231 bp) was evident in 146 (92 %) of 158 VRE isolates; the remaining 12 isolates (8 %) were positive for the vanB gene. All isolates of E. faecalis were found to be vanA-positive. In total, 16 PFGE banding profiles (pulsotypes) were observed for environmental isolates of E. faecium, whilst eight pulsotypes were found for isolates of E. faecalis. Some of these pulsotypes were isolated from multiple sites, whereas others were more restricted in their distribution. Eleven pulsotypes were evident for clinical isolates and eight of these (representing 11 isolates) were also encountered in environmental isolates. Eleven clinical isolates of E. faecium (55 %) shared an identical pulsotype that was not detected in environmental isolates. These results demonstrate a heterogeneous environmental population of VRE and an association of certain strains with clinical isolates. Predominance of a single pulsotype (not detected in the environment) amongst clinical isolates suggests non-environmental transmission between patients.

Item Type: Article
Date Type: Publication
Status: Published
Schools: Dentistry
Subjects: R Medicine > R Medicine (General)
Publisher: Society for General Microbiology
ISSN: 0022-2615
Last Modified: 15 Dec 2017 08:34
URI: http://orca.cf.ac.uk/id/eprint/702

Citation Data

Cited 24 times in Scopus. View in Scopus. Powered By Scopus® Data

Cited 13 times in Web of Science. View in Web of Science.

Actions (repository staff only)

Edit Item Edit Item