Cardiff University | Prifysgol Caerdydd ORCA
Online Research @ Cardiff 
WelshClear Cookie - decide language by browser settings

The Sisters’ House at Minwear, Pembrokeshire: analysis of the documentary and archaeological evidence

Nicholson, Helen Jane 2005. The Sisters’ House at Minwear, Pembrokeshire: analysis of the documentary and archaeological evidence. Archaeologia Cambrensis 151 , pp. 109-138.

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

The ‘Sisters’ House’ is a collection of ruined buildings on the south bank of the Eastern Cleddau, Pembs., opposite the site of the commandery of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem at Slebech. The Sisters’ House formed part of the manor of Minwear, which was given to the order of the Hospital in the mid twelfth century. It is first mentioned in a document of 1546, when it was named as part of the Slebech estates sold to Roger and Thomas Barlow after the dissolution of the monasteries in England and Wales. Scholars have differed in their interpretation of the buildings at the Sisters’ House, variously describing the main building as a barn or as a pilgrim hospice. The purpose of this article is to analyse both archaeological and documentary evidence in the light of the latest research into the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, to produce a more reasoned interpretation of the site.

Item Type: Article
Date Type: Publication
Status: Published
Schools: History, Archaeology and Religion
Subjects: D History General and Old World > D History (General) > D111 Medieval History
D History General and Old World > DA Great Britain
Uncontrolled Keywords: Slebech, Minwear, Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, Hospitallers, Hospitaller women
Additional Information: Although published in 2005, vol. 151 was the issue dated 2002.
Publisher: Cambrian Archaelogical Association
ISSN: 0306-6924
Related URLs:
Last Modified: 04 Jun 2017 08:20
URI: http://orca.cf.ac.uk/id/eprint/76123

Actions (repository staff only)

Edit Item Edit Item